Åldste Francis in the Sweden Stockholm Mission

Åldste Francis in the Sweden Stockholm Mission

Monday, April 22, 2019

Växjö Week 14 - April 22, 2019


GLAD PÅSK! As you know, Sweden is awesome for many reasons. One of them is because people here basically celebrate Easter for four days! They have långfredag, Easter Eve, Easter, and "Påsk annan dag" (Second day of Easter, that's today). So lots of people here are still off of work and out of school. As our Sunday School teacher put it yesterday, "you should celebrate Easter for longer than just Easter Sunday - Christ didn't stop being a resurrected person, so why should we stop celebrating?" That's true! 


I was companions with Elder Burns for a day! We Working together again was way fun. Exchanges were on Thursday after our in-person district council, and the weather in Malmö was marvelous. Elder Burns and I had the funnest time contacting right next to a sparkling lake near central Malmö, it seemed like everyone was out enjoying the sun! We had many good conversations. Towards the end of our time contacting we walked past a man with headphones in. He looked back at us and we looked back at him then somehow made a mutual agreement to stop and talk. It turns out that he has a strong faith in Jesus Christ and was very curious to know our answers to some of his many questions regarding the Bible. It was great to teach him about the Great Apostasy and the Promised Restoration! I think the Malmö elders will be meeting him again soon. I learned a lot with Elder Burns, it's so cool serving with him again! 
For Family Home Evening on Monday, we made Easter cards with members in the branch and other friends of ours. They turned out really good, and they were a great resource for Elder Childs and I during the week. We wrote notes in the cards and placed a "#PåskenÄrKristus" card in each one before delivering them to returning members and other friends. It was a great project, and we saw a few miracles because of it! One member we dropped off a card to texted us later and thanked us. We've reached out to her many times in different ways but because of the cards we now have good communication with her over text! Progress!

As the Malmö elders drove us to Malmö Central to catch our train home, we received a call from a random number.
The man on the other end asked for "Francis" and explained that he had met us at the university here in Växjö a few weeks ago. His name is Lorentz and he explained that we had given him a card and told him to contact us when he had more time. He said "I have more time now and I wondered if I could meet you guys today." We did meet him that evening and had such a cool time! One thing he said was "my spirit can't rest until I find the truth". Lorentz, you're here!! He came to church yesterday and we'll be meeting him again this evening with our branch mission leader. 

Did I mention that I love Växjö?? There are so many people here that I admire. Elder Childs and I feel spoiled. We had some awesome Easter celebrations with members in the ward. I don't remember anything this big happening last Easter! We ate great food (homemade meatballs, Påskmust, prince korv, etc.) and received way more candy than I thought was allowed in Sweden. The fact that we are spoiled was reaffirmed today when a member took us to a Chinese buffet. On the way, we "ran into" one of our friends who wants to learn more (no coincidences there!) then saw another one of our friends who we teach at the restaurant! Both friends are people we haven't had great contact with but the relationship was strengthened today. The friend at the restaurant, Carlos, was with his cousin. They moved seats so they could eat with us and it was almost like a member-missionary-person we teach meal. SO cool! 


I had the privilege of speaking in church yesterday about the Atonement of Jesus Christ. My knowledge about this topic grew as I prepared for my talk, and my testimony of this selfless act definitely deepened. During one part of my talk, I said this: "What is difficult in your life? Do you have trials that are hard to understand? Do you have suffering that you want to be freed of? Are there temptations that you need to overcome or situations that you need to correct? Are you searching for understanding about something in the Gospel, or comfort and courage to move forward? I testify that because Jesus Christ has "descended below all things" he can understand your situation and he can meet your needs." That is something that I testify of! I know that all of us need Jesus Christ. He can cleanse us, heal us, strengthen us, and lift us. I have felt Him do it for me!

Have a wonderful week of resurrection!

Äldste Francis




No comments:

Post a Comment